Trying to find logs for Lambda functions in CloudWatch is not an enjoyable experience.
Some of the issues that I’ve faced are:
- Finding the log group is not easy and tends to get harder as more functions are deployed. Also, I don’t remember I ever typed
/aws/lambda/service-stage-prefix which is suppose to help with it
- Searching for logs on the wrong stage (for example
dev instead of
- Constantly matching logged time with my clock (and adding/subtracting hours to match my timezone)
Because of that, I wrote a relatively simple VS Code extension that tackles those issues.
- Log groups are grouped per project and correspond to a single Serverless service (even though it’s also possible to use it without serverless framework)
- Stages are shown per function on its own tab
- Times are shown relative to current timestamp (like “2 minutes ago”)
- Logs can be grouped per request
- Log stream can be searched
Note: it works only for AWS at the moment
Click here to download the extension.
Join the Newsletter
You can subscribe to get my latest content by email here